OB_3-phase anecdote:
PG&E bought a replacement machine for the school district, on the
condition that all involved go along with a false story that it had been
a lighning strike!

On Fri, 10 Mar 2023, Chuck Guzis via cctalk wrote:
Doesn't seem to be an uncommon practice.  I remember an electrician
hooking up a 120V60Hz water cooler to the 250VDC supply used for
welding.  Sent the unit back for replacement because of "manufacturing
defects".

It wasn't even my first experience of it.

When I built my auto repair garage (building built for me) in 1975, got three phase for the air compressor. Until we did our own testing, there was over 200 volts to the wall outlets.

--
Grumpy Ol' Fred                 ci...@xenosoft.com