On 3/10/23 17:20, Bill Gunshannon via cctalk wrote:

On 3/10/2023 6:11 PM, Fred Cisin via cctalk wrote:
On Fri, 10 Mar 2023, Kevin Anderson via cctalk wrote:
I always thought of the distinctions this way (from my basis of exposure from late 1970s through the 1980s) and from a higher educational setting primarily: Mainframe = repairs required multiple technicians, some possibly there full-time; regular operator(s) present, and a locked door located between you and the machine; entire specialized room with raised flooring, extra-high amperage specialized power sources and wiring, and significant air conditioning Minicomputer = Vendor still provides a technician (just one) for repairs, who drives in out in a station wagon; only a part-time operator only; an user can be located in the same room; 240-volt wiring, but not particularly outlandish Microcomputer = Computer can sit on a desk or in a "normal" room; broken computer taken by user to someplace to be repaired or self-repaired; typically one user, and only 120-volt household or office power needed. Supercomputer = a really fast and specialized version (primarily focusing on high-speed mathematical computations) of a mainframe.

extension cord / dedicated circuit / dedicated pole transformer

Which machines needed 3-phase?

Some PDP-11's although you can sometimes break them up and just use

lots of 110/220 outlets.  And then you get to watch the lights in the house

dim when you fire them up.

Some Vaxen as well and some of those you cannot break up.  At least I never

figured out how.

The VAX 11/780 was wired for 208 V 3-phase, but all the internal power supplies ran line-line, so were single-phase.

Also, the cooling blowers had 208V single-phase motors.

The DECSystem 2020 (KL10B processor) ran directly off 3-phase power with a HUGE transformer in the bottom of the cabinet.

I would be willing to bet that the 1401, 360's and 4300 systems all required a bit

more than you get out of a standard 100AMP 220 volt electrical feed.

And Univac 1100's didn't run on commercial power at all but required a motor

generator between  them and commercial power.

The IBM 360/50 and /65 used a "Converter Inverter" that converted 208 V 3-phase utility power to single-phase 120 V 2500 Hz sine wave power.

All the logic supplies ran off that 2500-Hz power, and were astonishingly small.

At least the mid-range 370's had built-in motor generators that converted 208V 3-phase power to 120/200 V 415 Hz 3-phase power. The internal supplies ran off that, vastly reducing the size of transformers and capacitors.

Jon