On Fri, 5 May 2023 at 16:41, Liam Proven via cctalk <cctalk@classiccmp.org>
wrote:

> On Fri, 5 May 2023 at 21:26, Mike Stein via cctalk
> <cctalk@classiccmp.org> wrote:
> >
> > No doubt many folks do have a need for speed but FWIW I get by fine with
> 6
> > Mbps D/L speed, streaming Youtube and local cable channels, browsing the
> > web, email & fora, etc.;
>
> ... wow.
>
> I had 500Mb/s for ~CzK 1000/mth in Prague. Ballpark ₤30.
>
> Here in the Isle of Man I'm on 100Mb/s and it's a moderate pain. But
> for my 1st 2 months here, I had only 16Mb/s at my mum's, and it was
> horrible.

I think it's generally a case of proximity to a population center.  In a
city in the US you can generally get very high speeds at reasonable cost,
at least a couple of hundred mbit/s, but that decreases almost
exponentially as you move farther out.  I live in an area that I wouldn't
classify as completely rural but it's not exactly suburban either and my
options are limited to high prices for cable internet - I have 30 mbit/s
down but only 5 mbit/s up for $40/mo, and that's essentially at cost
because my provider is a cooperative.  The commercial offerings are even
worse.

-Henry