On Fri, 19 May 2023 at 13:42, Glen Slick via cctalk
<cctalk@classiccmp.org> wrote:

> On Fri, May 19, 2023, 4:36 AM Liam Proven via cctalk <cctalk@classiccmp.org>
> wrote:
>

> > [3] Win98SE was, I _think_, maybe the first version to support USB _2_
> > and maybe the first version with USB key support as standard. This
> > needed a driver on original 98.
>

> [4] Microsoft didn't add USB 2.0 support until Windows XP SP1. That USB 2.0
> support was also back ported to Windows 2000 SP 4. Microsoft never added
> USB 2.0 support to Windows 98SE or Windows Me.

https://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000603.htm

I I think that Windows ME had USB 2 at launch. Not sure. ME did
support FireWire which cost me quite a lot of money on one job because
I did not realise that was a difference between ME & 98 SE.

> [5] Microsoft first added USB mass storage support to Windows 2000. That
> was back ported to the original Windows Me release, but never to Windows
> 98SE.

Happy to accept that. It was easily added via any number of
third-party drivers though. These were commonly available and in the
early days of USB memory keys, it was not unusual for them to come
with a floppy with Windows 9x driver.

> [6] Any USB 2.0 support on Windows 98SE or Me would have been provided by
> third-parties, same with any USB mass storage support on Windows 98SE.

For windows 98, that sounds very plausible. For Windows ME, I think it
was built in.

My apologies for poor capitalisation etc– I am dictating these

Liam Proven ~ Profile: https://about.me/liamproven
Email: lpro...@cix.co.uk ~ gMail/gTalk/FB: lpro...@gmail.com
Twitter/LinkedIn: lproven ~ Skype: liamproven
IoM: (+44) 7624 277612: UK: (+44) 7939-087884
Czech [+ WhatsApp/Telegram/Signal]: (+420) 702-829-053