On Tue, May 23, 2023 at 2:21 PM Paul Koning <paulkon...@comcast.net> wrote:

> > I do seriously wonder why nobody has been suggesting the
> > flux-transition type of device. If it can be got to work then it would
> > seem the ideal solution in that it can handle anything the disk drive
> > [1] can handle, including non FM/MFM formats.
>
> Sure it is likely to work.  But the point of the other suggestions, such as
> the one I wrote saying just to use a stock floppy drive, is that it offers
> another option that is easy.  It would also be a particularly convenient
> choice for anyone who already has such a system sitting in the closet, or can
> get his hands on one easily.

Given that conditional, this make a lot of sense. But the statement
was originally made without the conditonal.

In my first message I pointed out that I had 2 classes of computers .
Classic computers which have floppy drives of various sizes but not
USB ports. And this modern-ish laptop which has USB ports and no
floppy drive.

I think this sort-of implies I don't have an old-ish PC tucked away
somewhere with USB ports and a floppy controller.

> While those flux widgets have at times tempted me, I haven't had a
> requirement for one yet, and unless at some point in the future I do, chances
> are I'll just stick with my existing off the shelf PC.

Sure, if you've got a solution that works for you, use it.

In terms of bying something now, you can get a Greaseweazle in the UK
for about £25.00 including postage. I suspect that getting an old PC
would cost more than that -- the hardware may be cheaper, but getting
it home won't be. And I can see disadvantages to using such a machine.

But other that an Apple-based solution which is not applicable to me,
I've not seen any messages here on the pros and cons of the various
flux transition devices.

-tony