On 5/22/23 15:13, Tom Ivar Helbekkmo via cctalk wrote:
> Fred Cisin via cctalk <cctalk@classiccmp.org> writes:
>
>> Unfortunately, the ability to handle single-density (FM) reading and
>> writing correctly IS one that some machines can; some can't.
>
> For what it's worth, the Adaptec AHA-1542B SCSI controller contains a
> fully capable floppy interface as per the original IBM specification.

That's a real NSC DP8473 or a clone of it.  You can often find the same
chip on Future Domain cwell-ontrollers as well as DTC ones as well some
Ultrastor ones   What's not known, is that with a simple jumper, a
2-drive controller can be changed to a 3 drive one (on the same cable).

Both Ultrastor and DTC documented the 3-drive cable, but Adaptec and
Future Domain never did.  FWOW the 8473 in it's PLCC incarnation is
fully capable of directly driving four floppies.

Bitsavers even has a datasheet on the 4-drive capability in a PC-AT:

http://www.bitsavers.org/components/national/_dataSheets/DP8473/AN-631_Design_Guide_for_DP8473_in_a_PC-AT_Dec89.pdf

Another tidbit is the Micro Solutions Backpack floppy with parallel port
interface uses the 8473 and even has a configuration EEPROM to track 4
drives.   The interface supports low-level hardware control.   Some
years ago, I even published the source to a driver for the thing on
VCFed.  I'm sure that it's been lost in the mists of time, however; VCF
has lost a lot of content over the years.

--Chuck