> Hmmm, not sure on that one actually. So it does not boot up at all?

Yes - exactly!

> In the desktop Sun workstations and e.g. the Tadpole SparcBook, a lost NVRAM
> at least
> shows the firmware prompt on the screen (no HOSTID and no ethernet MAC).

Yes, that is different in the UltraBooks. There is very likely some deep
hardware specific stuff in the NVRAM. In Tafpoles, SparcStations and similar (I
have some of them) there is NEVER a sticker with the serial numer on the NVRAM,
but in the UltraBooks there is. That is also anindication for me, that the
NVRAM is paired to the hardware.

> situation is not as severe as with the UltraBooks where the screen remains
> black/dark and
> no interaction is possible!

Exactly - and therefore I fear, that all the UltraBooks will die, once the
relevant bytes get lost. Mine operated for some years with the "Invalid NVRAM"
message until I attached the battery to the NVRAM and herein completely erased
it because it was completely without power for some time (old battery was down
to 0.426V).