There are solutions to the dying DS chips. I have seen replacement with
newer ones (but sometimes those have old cells too), surgery to replace the
internal cell https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZJDlNoJk7M, and replacement
with a clone https://www.tindie.com/search/?q=dallas.

However the critical thing would be to replace the data with something that
doesn't hang on booting (perhaps even incorrect information from another
unit would be close).