There are a number of WWVB simulator projects out there that will transmit a
weak but usable signal to your clock after getting sync’d from ntp or GPS NMEA
time messages.  They were developed to help people develop receivers :-)   One
in particular uses an AVR and it should be pretty simple to make it do the “old
protocol”.  You’d then hide this behind your clock and it will sync to it
instead of the actual WWVB signal.  Solves the protocol problem and the weak
signal problem from real WWVB with one little circuit.

If Google does not provide, I can dig up some links tomorrow.

Chris N0JCF
--
Chris Elmquist