> On 06/05/2024 7:17 AM CDT Liam Proven via cctalk <cctalk@classiccmp.org>
> wrote:

> It isn't personal if an ordinary person can't afford it.
>

> That isn't _the people_. The People means hoi polloi. It means
> ordinary people. It means the masses. A personal computer is only
> personal if the person in question is an ordinary Joe.

To my mind, there are two things that define a computer as a personal computer.
 The first is what you say above, affordable by the masses.  The second is
"intended for" the masses.

When the Jan 75 issue of Popular Electronics came out I was 9 years old.  I
didn't know the magazine existed, nor could I have afforded a subscription if I
did.  But I knew what computers were, and I knew I wanted one.  But they were
untouchable to me.  I had seen one at my dad's office, and even seen some
programmers (up near the same category as seeing an astronaut to me.)  But
having a computer was a dream, like owning an F-4 Phantom.

A couple of years later I saw the TRS-80 in a Radio Shack catalog.  That was my
first sight of a "personal" computer.  The price ($599?) was WELL outside what
I could afford, but it was achievable.  AND... it was marketed toward "average"
people!

Until I saw the TRS-80, owning a computer was a dream.  After, it was a goal.
I strongly suspect that many people felt much the same way when they saw their
own first personal computer, whether it was a TRS-80 or an Altair or whatever.
But very few had that reaction to, say, A 9830.  And the masses didn't get a
flyer in the mail advertising a 5100 to them.

Just my 1/2 cent worth.

Will

Grownups never understand anything by themselves and it is tiresome for
children to be always and forever explaining things to them,

Antoine de Saint-Exupery in The Little Prince