On Thu, 6 Jun 2024 at 06:10, Sellam Abraham via cctalk
<cctalk@classiccmp.org> wrote:

>  If you use
> a computer that simultaneously is or can be used by other people via
> multiple concurrent user sessions across whatever signal path, whatever the
> setting, it is *not* "personal".

I disagree. You are trying to make a binary yes/no split when it just ain't so.

Take, say, a Compaq Deskpro 386, a late-'80s desktop. It's indubitably a PC.

Now boot CDOS-386 on it. Plug a couple of terminals into its serial
ports. Now it's a multiuser host. No hardware change.

Stick a DOS floppy in, reboot. It's a single user PC again.

There is no hardware change. Ben Idontneedasurname says if it doesn't
have a multitasking OS it's not a PC.

Who is right?

Neither of you. You are trying to make out this is an absolute split. It's not.

I used DESQview to multitask DOS apps. Resolutely single user. I know
people who used DESQview to run BBSes. Definitely multiuser.
But the _same software_.

But could one ordinary person afford it? At least in some countries,
e.g. where it's made or at least designed? That is a clearer, easier
split, I think.

--
Liam Proven ~ Profile: https://about.me/liamproven
Email: lpro...@cix.co.uk ~ gMail/gTalk/FB: lpro...@gmail.com