I think the key to preservation is assuring next of kin that the items in our possession have value, and are worth seeking out future custodians. There's a lot of stuff in private collections that can bring in great sums of money if only those in charge of selling the estate appreciate what they have to deal with. Making sure spouses and children know that at least some items in the collection are not just "old junk" will help immeasurably in their preservation, as well as pointing them in the direction of those knowledgeable enough to value it. Groups like this, as well as local/national computer museums will, i'm sure, help a lot with valuing pieces of equipment if and when the time comes to auction them off.

Of course, a great tool is a personal inventory. A book, or some such document with rough values and other information could be very useful for those unfortunate enough to have to rehome our collections once we're passed. Contact details of those who can help in assessing and distributing such stuff will also be quite useful.

I, personally, am quite young compared to many here (no offense intended!), being 32 years old. However i have reassured my spouse that much of my "junk" (largely consisting of QBUS PDP-11's at this time) is actually quite valuable and well worth getting a good price for. Other, rarer items, i have assured her need to be rehomed to a museum. Of course, i intend to hang onto these pieces for at least another 32 years, as a good portion is somewhat "retirement projects", as well as "retirement funds", and i definitely intend to divest some of my ever-growing collection when the time comes.

But then again, we all have those pieces that are actually quite valueless. It is definitely worth divesting those pieces if and when we get round to it. If and when the time is available to divest these pieces (i'm eyeing up the stack of 30+ Core i7 3770 boards in the corner as i type this, definitely not retro at this time, but definitely need to be divested) it is worth getting the money back when we can.

It's a difficult one for those that love and cherish these machines, but it always hurts to see them end up in the trash. Ultimately, as custodians of this equipment, it is also our duty to assure their preservation, and sometimes it is us who know best where to rehome them. Don't hesitate to downsize and find younger folk that have the passion. There isn't a lot of them, but they are out there.

Cheers

Josh rice