On 17/07/2024 20:15, Adrian Godwin via cctalk wrote:
The number of UK museums seem to be growing. Perhaps some of the newer ones
are not yet full. I think the large Science Museums are pretty well off but
the smaller ones may be more flexible. Of course, they are also in greater
danger of fading away.

The Science Museum Group has space but I believe it struggles money.

It has made staff redundant recently and closed the Air and Space hall in Manchester last year and scaled updates to the spaces there.

I'm sure you're aware of TNMoC at Bletchley Park (though not the same
organisation as the Bletchley Park Trust) .

I am a member of the "TNMOC Supporters club" .

I'm hoping to get involved
there myself soon. They seem to be mainly limited by the rate at which they
can restore the many old buildings on the site. There are still a lot left
semi-derelict.

Very few now, and all the TNMOC buildings are leased from the Bletchley Park Trust so as interest in the park grows the Trust may be inclined to let them to commercial concerns.

They will accept some donations.

Although both organisations have improved their standing a
lot recently, I'm still astonished when I compare it with the museum
Curious Marc and his team recently visited.

I think we expect Museums in the UK to be free. They have to be free to get government money. I think TNMOC charges £10. Its not really enough, but I am sure folks would gripe at more. I recently visited the OXO Museum in Malaga which is 15€ for two hours. Its much smaller than TNMOC yet because of its location I am sure it takes a lot more money. OXO is well worth a visit even if you are not a gamer...

https://oxomuseo.com/

Two other notable but more recently established museums are Cambridge's
'Centre for computing History' which has a variety of HP and DEC systems in
addition to many homegrown Cambridge machines,

A great place, but I think they would only accept things of real importance. They have recently sold off surplus items..

  and Sam Battle's 'This
museum is not obsolete', a volunteer-run museum with a very dedicated staff
and an astounding ability to take on work and exhibits. I'd recommend both
for a visit and perhaps a donation.

Not managed to get there yet but on my "Must See" list

There is also the "Retro Computer Museum" in Leicester

https://retrocomputermuseum.co.uk/

This is a great place to visit, and has an extensive Library. Andy who runs it has taken a few items from me, but also turned down a few....

.. and the Northwest Computer Museum..

https://www.nwcomputermuseum.org.uk/

which is pretty new, but again a great place for post-mainframe exhibits....

... not sure where Joe is with donations...

Dave

G4UGM

On Wed, Jul 17, 2024 at 6:53 PM Fred Cisin via cctalk <cctalk@classiccmp.org>