On 14-Mar-02 Bob wrote:
>   I have borrowed a Sony drive from a friend which fits into the bay
> that normally holds my floppy drive.  We'll see if it does any better.

This is interesting -- I'm owning an Inspiron 8000 and this would mean I
could put some sony devices into the modular bay of the I8k?
Which sony's?

>> But having your CDR-W and HD on the same IDE channel should not ordinarily
>> be a problem.
>
>   Are you saying that you can do a blank=all without having all
> accesses to the HD block until the blank is complete?

Normally (i.e. on a "well" configured desktop) this should/would work.

>   Whenever I do a blank=all, some programs keep working, but if I do
> anything that I know accesses the disk, that process blocks until the
> blank operation is complete.  I can also freeze programs that would
> otherwise work by telling them to access the disk.
>
>   Can anyone confirm or deny this same-channel IDE issue I'm having
> with blanking and fixating?

Not directly -- I'm running the I8k with DVD in fixed bay (hdb, same channel
as HD hda) and the burner (Matsushita UJA...) comes in as hdc. So I've
nothing on the same channel. In this case it does not block HD acess, but
it's a rather different situation.

I know that I can rip audio data to HD without problems (same channel). But a
blank would cause a SCSI device to disconnect for a long time -- and if the
IDE channel is blocked by this that's a rather bad situation.

K.-H.