In [EMAIL PROTECTED], Karl-Heinz Herrmann
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> This is interesting -- I'm owning an Inspiron 8000 and this would mean I
> could put some sony devices into the modular bay of the I8k?

  Possibly.  I'm told the Lattitudes and the high-end Inspiron bays
are compatible.

> Which sony's?

  I was able to put a Sony CRX700E from my friend's Lattitude into my
Inspiron 8100 left bay.  My built-in is /dev/hdb, dev=0,0,0.  The bay
was /dev/hdc, dev=0,1,0.  The Sony worked flawlessly, unlike the
built-in Matsushita UJDA330.

> >   Can anyone confirm or deny this same-channel IDE issue I'm having
> > with blanking and fixating?
>
> Not directly -- I'm running the I8k with DVD in fixed bay (hdb, same channel
> as HD hda) and the burner (Matsushita UJA...) comes in as hdc.

  Holy shit, you have a Matsushita too?  Is it a UJDA330 Rev 1.50?  If
so, then either my particular drive is defective, or it's the same-IDE
channel that is a problem (either a problem for that model of drive,
or a problem for all drives).

> So I've
> nothing on the same channel. In this case it does not block HD acess, but
> it's a rather different situation.

  Lucky bum.  When I was using the borrowed Sony I was likewise able
to use the rest of my machine without a performance penalty.

> I know that I can rip audio data to HD without problems (same channel). But a
> blank would cause a SCSI device to disconnect for a long time -- and if the
> IDE channel is blocked by this that's a rather bad situation.

In [EMAIL PROTECTED], Joerg Schilling
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> That is happening with ATAPI and if you made the mistake to connect
> a hard disk to the same cable as the CD.

  Unfortunately, with a laptop, you don't have much choice about which
IDE channel your drives are connected to.

  The IDE channel freeze is apparrently an unavoidable thing.

  My inability to re-write all of a CD-RW I think is an actual
problem.  I'm going to try to get Dell to give me a drive that works,
whether that means replacing the internal, or just giving me a
bay-based CD-RW.

  Action items for y'all:

  I recommend that the cdrecord manual page be augmented with a few
sentences about how fixation and "blank=" will seize control of the
IDE channel, preventing access to any other device on the channel
until the operation is complete (mildly irritating for fixation and
blank=fast; excruciating disdain-inducing for blank=all).  There
should be a reference in the blank= paragraph and a special note
beside blank=all.

  Add a few same-channel configurations to your test suite
(preferrably /dev/hdb).  It may be a bad choice for a desktop machine,
but you don't often have a choice with a laptop.  Perhaps you can find
a way to reproduce this problem and hopefully solve it