/me figures this is pointless, but...

On Mar 12, Joerg Schilling wrote:
> >From: Chris Lawrence <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> >> YOu can avoid to give wring advice when you read the cdreecord
> >> man page before sending mail....
>
> >Hey, it works for me.  His (and your) mileage may vary.  (He mentioned
> >in his email that DMA was enabled, so clearly your advice was no better...)
>
> >(And for the record, your man page says to use al least nice --18 "on
> >systems that don't have UNIX International compliant realtime
> >scheduling."  I haven't read POSIX.4 or this "UNIX International" spec
> >lately so I can't say if Linux 2.4.1X has it.)
>
> Sorry, but this is rubbish!
>
> READ THE MAN page......
>
> cdrecord by default runs with much much higher pri than -19.

>From "man cdrecord" for version 1.10:

       On SVr4 compliant systems, cdrecord uses the the real time
       class to get the highest scheduling priority that is  pos
       sible (higher than all kernel processes).  On systems with
       POSIX  real  time  scheduling  cdrecord  uses  real   time
       scheduling  too,  but  may  not be able to gain a priority
       that is higher than all kernel processes.
           nice --18 mkisofs -R /master/tree

       on  systems  that  don't have UNIX International compliant
       realtime scheduling.

       Cdrecord runs at priority 59 on Solaris,  you  should  run
       mkisofs at no more than priority 58. On other systems, you
       should run mkisofs at no less than nice --18.

Now, the man page may have been revised for 1.11aX, but that's what it
says on 1.10.

Chris
--
Chris Lawrence <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> - http://www.lordsutch.com/chris/