On Wed, 19 Jun 2002, Len Sorensen wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 18, 2002 at 02:41:36PM -0500, Chris Lawrence wrote:
> > True enough; but since it's not a drop-in replacement for GNU tar,
> > it's not suitable for the default tar in a Linux distribution (for
> > example, -j is not included as of 1.5a02, and it has different long
> > option syntax).  Like it or not, Linux people expect tar -jtf or tar
> > --exclude='*~' -zcf to work--though I guess you can argue with their
> > aesthetic sense :-).
>
> -j is most certainly not standard.  Debian woody and sid have that
> option, potato had -I instead, and I think redhat uses -y, and the GNU
> tar maintainer prefers --bzip2.  Using -bz makes more sense than anything
> other than --bzip2, and the double dash option system is also not that
> nice, nor consistant.

RH uses all of -j -I and --bzip, Slackware uses -y. The nice thing about
the double dash system is that it's easy to write and parse. Anyone who
has had to specify filenames with "=" embedded to cdrecord will understand
how nice it would be to only have to worry about filenames starting with
-- instead.

        -- rob bogus