Hi Tommy,

I found the document seemed to be too far ahead of itself. I also
didn't find any of the pros and cons very compelling because they
don't address specific problems and those problems are not described.

1) What are you actually trying to achieve? It would be useful to
describe the parts of the current system that are giving you grief and
look to give you more grief based on the use cases and any axes of
scale.

2) What are the use cases? An initial set should be extracted from the
current site. You have written out some, but they only covered a small
set of function of the site, especially when it comes to relations
between models or workflow and curation states.

I understand some of the details that are causing you pain with the
current implementation, but I think the first part of this is to be
charitable to the current system and adequately describe the two
points above.

Before rethinking the implementation of this site I think the
following need to also be done:
- a specification for assigning a URI to these models (as would be
used by CellML 1.1 imports)
- a specification for how a manifest file is to be constructed, or
some set of rules for interpreting a directory structure of models,
especially in those cases where there are multiple local models used
in imports and we need to point to at least the top level model.
- a suggested solution to the bqs problem. Research existing standards.

Generally:

Relational databases are useful, but so are the combination of
ZCatalog and Sets. It really depends on the structure of the data and
the queries you want to perform. You should write out a reasonable set
of these in natural language to get the focus right. Maybe a proof of
concept using various mechanisms is required.

The frustration with metadata handling at the moment is a result of
some difficulties in the metadata specification for the metadata you
are using the most and also the use of a quite esoteric system:
4Suite's Versa RDF query interface. RDQL or SPARQL are better SQL-like
equivalents and certainly have a wide acceptance.

Subversion offers a nice philosophy of code management and the guess
is that this would apply well to the modeling process. It also offers
the potential for building URIs for versioned material - individual
files and whole changesets (which is something we are after). The
default webdav URI scheme may not be what we want, so it is also worth
looking at others; for example, the trac browser interface to a
subversion repository form quite nice URIs.

Workflow and security as defined and implemented by Zope/CMF/Plone is
a very nice model that should be reflected in our workflow and
security use-cases. We discussed a few weeks ago that if this
environment is going to provide the security layer, then there needs
to be a relationship between this and the subversion repository at
quite a detailed level.

cheers
Matt