On 6/26/07, Tommy Yu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Matt wrote:
> > I don't understand the purpose of this.
> >
> > It looks like you are inventing a versioning system to implement from
> > scratch.
> >

> That's what it looks like, but if you recall the software choices I have
> written down I have been considering them, and have been going through the
> features they offer that would be of use to us.  I am being agnostic to
> software right here, as someone would like me to stay away from underlying
> pieces at the moment.  I am conveying a generic concept of a repository in
> the context of CellML model development, outlining possible hints to what may
> be best practices.

I was meaning to look at these other projects to look at the use-cases
they solve. It seems like you are reinventing them from the beginning
starting at the lowest level of a database identifier. Look at the
problems these systesm are trying to solve, and compare it to CellML
models.

> > I don't see how this system would work with someone working on a
> > filesystem and not wanting to use a browser - you'd have to invent
> > client software for this.
> >
> > Start by reviewing things like:
> >
> > subversion
> > svk
> > darcs
> > monotone
> > arch
> > etc
> >

> I did, I already suggested to use Subversion as a possible backend (I also
> reviewed how GIT might be a reasonable choice if we proxy remote
> repositories), possibly a RDBMS to help with the relationship aspect of
> models, and Plone/Zope for the workflow states and presentation front-end via
> WWW.

And the next line below here says review them in the context of the use-cases.

> > Review them in the context of the use-cases that need to be satisfied.
> >
> > Include use-cases such as someone working on a complex model that uses
> > imports of models in a local space. Include use-cases of someone
> > wanting to follow volatile vs non-volatile versions/branches, etc.
> >

> If a model builder develops their models in their local space they could
> import items from within their projects via relative paths (no different than
> working locally on their storage device).  If they rely on other models they
> could import a specific frozen version of a model, or the development
> version, from the repository.  Volatile versions are provided for anyone who
> need it.

So write them out as examples, i.e. what their local filesystem looks
like for that particular project, what the import URIs look like, and
the commands they use to manipulate versions/branches/etc of this.

What does it mean to want to follow a volatile version ? - what are
the implications of this ? - do changesets make sense in such
contexts?

> > Include the environments from which you expect this versioning system
> > to work (e.g. commands on a filesystem, webdav, etc).
> >

> If it's subversion someone could do a svn ci or use their GUI clients to
> update models.  They could also update via WWW.

Not the actual commands ... just the environments/contexts that are
important. For example, is it important for someone to be able to
start a project on a local filesystem and add it to the repository -
what conditions are necessary for various roles to add something to
the repository.

> > What are the kinds of relationships between permissions and roles. I
> > know you have some ideas here, but it's not very replete and perhaps
> > needs to be put in a table.
> >

> They will be put on the table.

In a table. Something readable.