On Sun, Mar 1, 2015 at 6:32 PM, Christian Balzer <ch...@gol.com> wrote:

> Again, penultimately you will need to sit down, compile and compare the
> numbers.
>
> Start with this:
> http://ark.intel.com/products/family/83425/Data-Center-SSDs
>
> Pay close attention to the 3610 SSDs, while slightly more expensive they
> offer 10 times the endurance.

Unfortunately, $300 vs $100 isn't really slightly more expensive ;)
 Although I did notice that the 3710's can be gotten for ~210.

> Guestimate the amount of data written to your cluster per day, break that
> down to the load a journal SSD will see and then multiply by at least 5 to
> be on the safe side. Then see which SSD will fit your expected usage
> pattern.

Luckily I don't think there will be a ton of data per day written.  The
majority of servers whose VHDs will be stored in our cluster don't have a
lot of frequent activity - aside from a few windows servers that have DBs
servers in them (and even they don't write a ton of data per day really).

> You didn't mention your network, but I assume it's 10Gb/s?

Would be nice, if I had access to the kind of cash to get a 10Gb network, I
wouldn't be stressing the cost of a set of SSDs ;)

> At 135MB/s writes the 100GB DC S3500 will not cut the mustard in any shape
> or form when journaling for 4 HDDs.
> With 2 HDDs it might be a so-so choice, but still falling short.
> Most currenth 7.2K RPM HDDs these days can do around 150MB/s writes,
> however that's neither uniform, nor does Ceph do anything resembling a
> sequential write (which is where these speeds come from), so in my book
> 80-120MB/s on the SSD journal per HDD are enough.

The drives I have access to that are in the cluster aren't the fastest,
current drives out there; but what you're describing, to have even 3 HDD's
per SSD, you'd need an SSD running 240-360MB/s write capability...  Why
does the ceph documentation then talk 1ssd per 4-5 osd drives?  It would be
near impossible to get an SSD to meet that level of speeds..

> A speed hit is one thing, more than halving your bandwidth is bad,
> especially when thinking about backfilling.

Although I'm working with more than 1Gb/s, it's a lot less than 10Gb/s, so
there might be a threshold there where we wouldn't experience an issue
where someone using 10G would (God I'd love a 10G network, but no budget
for it)

> Journal size doesn't matter that much, 10GB is fine, 20GB x4 is OK with
> the 100GB DC drives, with 5xx consumer models I'd leave at least 50% free.

Well, I'd like to steer away from the consumer models if possible since
they (AFAIK) don't contain caps to finish writes should a power loss occur,
unless there is one that does?

-Tony