I agree that the governments "war on drugs" is totally misguided.
However the real reason that drugs are illegal which the government goes out
of their way not to say. Is that drugs in general lower the productivity of
the population. If drugs were legalized in any fashion, we might be a
happier country, but the overall productivity of the nation as a whole would
probably drop as we have more fun ;-)

The US govt. wants to keep the illusion we are under that we live in a free
country and have all sorts of right. This illusion is the root of it's
power. If we actually lived in a free country we would be allowed to smoke
marijuana in our houses. So the govt. hides behind scary words, like
addiction, and crack babies.

Scientific study is also a bad thing, because the truth is impossible to
avoid. The citizens may learn it, and because "we the people" are still in
charge because they cant change the Constitution, we may cause the laws to
be changed, and as a result productivity in this will decline for good or
worse.

This is where the internet comes into play, and the real reason why it is so
important. Before the internet  and it's precursor BBS's, where would we as
citizens have a place to discuss this issue without fear? Remember, the
commercials during the 80's? Kids were encouraged to turn in their parents.
Your neighbors might turn you in too...

We see now that the more socially liberal, and more technically advanced
states are voting to legalize medicinal marijuana. This is a direct effect
in my opinion of the ability of citizens to educate themselves as to the
facts. The real power of the internet is it's ability to allow people to
communicate. That's why it's so hyped by everyone beyond what it really is.
Everybody wants to internet to succeed, because it's a tool for giving
individuals power. Ebay, Yahoo, and everyone else are really just pawns in
the ordinary citizenries play for more power. They keep money flowing in so
the internet grows more powerful and so do we.

That's what it's alway's all about anyway.

Money and Power.

jon

p.s. the other constant...sex has already taken advantage of the internet
;-)