Has anyone actually tried this succesfully?

I've got the Firecracker kit which comes with the CM17A serial port
connector.  I tried this with the tag and it doesn't work.  It appears that
only the CP290 serial port connector will do the job.  But which connector
is that?

I'm assuming that part would be included in the ActiveHome kit:
http://www.x10.com/products/x10_ck11a.htm, but after looking at the
"computer interface", (http://www.x10.com/products/x10_ck11a_ci.htm), I'm
confused.  This doesn't look like the kind of device that would plug into
the back of your computer.

X-10's phone number: 800-675-3044 is constantly busy.  In fact, once I
finally got through I found out that the real customer service (sales
department) number is 800-442-5109.

This was funny.  (I called at 10AM PST)  While waiting on hold for God knows
how long, I heard this recording several times several times during the
various calls I had to make:

"We are experiencing a greater than normal volume of calls and apologize for
the wait.  Our peak hours are between 8AM to 6PM PST.  We are however
available to answer you call 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, so you may
experience quicker service if you call during our off-peak hours."

Doesn't that sound like a bit of an oxymoron?

Anyway, when I finally got connected to customer service, I asked about the
CP290 module.  I was told it's a part of the Firecracker kit.  I explained
that I've got the Firecracker kit in front of me, and that's not it.  (I've
got the CM17A interface).  So she transferred me to another number which
ended up being the sales department, and I was then hung up on.  So,
obviously the people on the phone have no clue about what they're doing.

So, I called back (to get their technical support number which is
800-442-5065) and then dialed tech support.

Mind you, we're 20 minutes into this process of trying to get information,
and this is after I've already spent a good 10 minutes trying to find more
information and I continuously browsed the site while waiting on hold as
well.

As I sat their waiting, I had a flashback to me at 9 years old staring at
the instruction manual of some electronics kit thinking, "Wait a second.
The part numbers don't match the instructions."

It seems I'm experiencing a sort of Deja Vu today.

Anyway, after waiting for 30 minutes on hold, I finally gave up.  I copied
X-10 on this message just to let them know that a group of people
(developers) are interested in their products, but can't actually use them
yet because of a lack of information.

Best of luck everyone.  If anyone figures it out, I'd really like their
advice.

---mark

Mark Warrick - Fusioneers.com
Personal Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]