An editorial in today's Tampa Tribune mentions how the Kyoto protocol
requires reducing emissions levels to a percentage of those seen in 1990.
In 1990, Germany had just been reunified and had huge emissions from the
former East German industries, Britain had significantly higher emissions
than they do now, and the US had lower than normal emissions because of a
recession.  According to the editorial, some estimates are that it would
cost the USA as much as $400 billion in lost GDP, while most of the rest of
the world gets to sit back and watch.

If all of that is true, it really would be a slam dunk on the USA.

Reducing CO2 emissions would be great, but right now I'd be satisfied if
the guys I work with would just turn the faucets all the way off after they
wash their hands.
|------------+------------------------------------------------------------|
|Eric A.     |"The man who has nothing to boast of but his ancestry is    |
|Laney       |like a potato. The only good belonging to him is            |
|Systems     |underground."                                               |
|Engineer    |                                                            |
|LAN         |                                                            |
|Optimization|                                       - Sir Thomas Overbury|
|Team        |                                                            |
|Voice:      |                                                            |
|813.978.4404|                                                            |
|Pager:      |                                                            |
|888.985.8519|                                                            |
|            |                                                            |
|------------+------------------------------------------------------------|

                    "Dave Fobare"

                    <editor@the-sports        To:     CF-Community
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
                    -page.com>                cc:

                                              Subject:     Re: Hiyas! :)

                    07/26/2001 12:54

                    PM

                    Please respond to

                    cf-community

>The treaty (or at least a modified version of it) was ratified this week
by
>178 countries, not too absurd by my reckoning.

Do you comprehend the difference between "signed" and "ratified"? Once
again, not one EU signatory to Kyoto '97 actually ratified it. This is
because the people who negotiated the agreement had little understanding of
political realities in the U.S., the EU, and elsewhere. Well, probably some
did, and simply saw Kyoto '97 as a stepping stone to bigger and better
things.

And the "modified" version now being tossed around contains no penalties
for treaty members who miss emissions targets/goals. In other words, it
doesn't really do anything, except provide a fig leaf for the
unelected(largely) bureaucrats who devoted so much time to Kyoto.

Dave Fobare

U.S.