At 11:45 AM 7/27/2001 -0400, you wrote:
>Dude..that statement about the sun was fatuous.

Your statement was; mine was sarcastic.

>Chernobyl was a Nuclear Power Plant that failed due to an accident.
>Regardless of the root cause, the fact is that there was
>an accident.

No, root causes are important. Chernobyl happened because it was run by
communists who didn't have a pricing system by which to base their
decisions. That's why Russia also has wastelands like Chelyabinsk-40, which
we don't have anywhere else.

>You obviously cannot defend this point , because there is no defence.

I just did.

>The results of a major failure are absolutely and
>completely catastrophic.

What would be catastrophic is if the enviro-lefties won absolute power to
destroy our current way of life. Then we could stop worrying about nuclear
power, and fret about more basic things, like how to eat tree bark, dirt,
and dead children like the North Koreans have done for the last several years.

>You've also failed to respond to the point about decommissioning and taken
>care of the resulting nuclear waste.

Well, in the US I don't believe too many plants have been decommissioned.
And I don't have to worry about those costs because they are borne(or
should be) by the power companies' shareholders. Great thing, capitalism.
And those companies' difficulties regarding nuclear waste is another
example of regulation run amok. Every time somebody comes up with a better
way of storing waste, the bureaucrats(egged on by the enviro-left) keep
raising the bar. But the environmental impact of nuclear waste pales in
comparison to the impact of say, coal mining.

Look, I'm not the world's biggest fan of nuclear power. I could really care
less. Its history is just a real good example of what the enviro-left's
real beef is: modernity. Read Rousseau if you don't get it.

>How can other forms of energy mysteriously become more efficient if they
>aren't given the same level of funding as Nuclear
>power?

Whatever help the nuclear industry has received in the form of research
from the gov't has been far outweighed by needless regulation. You could at
least bring up a far better case of subsidies. Like oil maybe.

Dave Fobare