Get this week's "The Economist" for a 12-page exploration of the subject.

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, July 31, 2001 1:01 PM
To: CF-Community
Subject: Re: Leeegalisssee ittt!

Okay, I'll bite.

I haven't seen any real, *objective* data on marijuana.  All the data I've
seen has either come from DARE or from pro-legalization groups, neither of
which I would consider reliable sources of data.  However, I can give you
the empirical data of my own youth.

When I was fourteen, I went to a school in a poorer part of town.  The
friends I hung around included many who grew their own marijuana for
personal use.  I took a grand total of one drag and decided that it was the
nastiest tasting stuff I had ever sampled.  We hung out together for about
two years, they smoked and I didn't, but it was all okay because we were all
friends.

Fast forward a few years.  We're all in high school together.  I'm
graduating in the top of my class while most of them are lucky to be
graduating at all.  They consistently showed a lack of ambition for anything
but their marijuana, and exhibited consistently poor judgement. Even though
these people were my friends, it scared me to think that they had cars.

We lost touch after graduation, and as the financial people say, "past
performance is not indicative of future results."  But I still think I made
the right choice (though for the wrong reasons).
|Eric A. Laney                     |All machines are amplifiers.          |
|Systems Engineer                  |                                      |
|LAN Optimization Team             |                                      |
|Voice: 813.978.4404               |                                      |
|Pager: 888.985.8519               |                                      |