Todd-

I had much the same epiphany, except it was with Java stored procedures in
Oracle.  I wrote a pretty slick procedure that connected to various boxes
using sockets and retrieved XML files for processing.  The neat thing about
Java is its extensive libraries.  I don't think I've ever needed to do
anything that couldn't be done readily using one of the provided classes.

Alex