I saw an interview with a general once (possibly Wesley Clark) where the interviewer asked him if someone like him would be more inclined to use military force to solve problems and his answer was that since he knew firsthand what war was like and that his men were the ones who would fight and die that he would be less likely to use military forces to solve a problem.  I think that is a valid issue - the chickenhawks are now running the show and they seem to use the military too quickly...
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Lyons, Larry
  To: CF-Community
  Sent: Thursday, May 27, 2004 9:25 AM
  Subject: RE: The return of the Draft in the US.

  I wasn't going to go there. The really sad part of it is that look at the
  people who are really pushing for this sort of military adventurism,
  Wolfowitz, Bush, Cheney etc. Most of the senior civilian appointees in the
  Pentagon, and in the administration who have been very strong advocates of
  going to war never served in the military, or if they did had very cushy
  rear echelon jobs, or served in Cadillac units (like Bush).

  Those who reportedly have been against our current involvements have all
  served in the military, like Powell.

  Go figure.

  larry