> As far as I know, cable companies use splitters themselves
> when adding new lines to your house...go check the outside of
> your house, but I had one line in from the street, with what
> looked like a $10 radio shack splitter. But I have heard it
> is important to get high frequency/bandwidth splitter->

The Comcast technician told me a few years ago that since the cable TV and
cable internet signals run at different frequencies on the same line, there
is no impact in terms of one affecting the other. He did give me the run
down on signal degradation which I remember from my networking days.... You
can only split the cable so many ways and with so much lead space before
signal quality is hampered. I have a main cable line coming into my new
apartment. The cable is then split into 3 other drops: living room, bedroom,
and kitchen. Immediately out of the living room face plate I split the wire
sending one 3 foot lead to the TV, and one to the modem about 10 feet away
and notice no difference then putting the modem on the kitchen island
directly plugged into the face plate.... Reason being..... The main line is
already split!  LOL  However, If I was to continue to split and split and
put the modem 100 feet away zig zagging wires around appliances and other
electromagnetic things, interference would be a problem and would add to
shitty signal quality.

Mike