that is exactly the ruse of democracy I am talking about - the illusion of being able to "control" things. In reality - yeah you have real control over the politics of your country, on most of issues we all care about. YET underneath - is the other stuff that isn't covered within the political scope - maybe you don't care - I don't really - but there are people acting with impunity holding the reigns of real power - and getting stinking rich.

Democracy is a tool to control the wealth and resources of other nations while not inheriting their social problems. Fantastic program if you ask me. Think about the benefits of democracy in places like Iraq where you can create a little instability as well.

Democracy is a timely arrow in the quiver of international bulliage.

Jack M

=====================
Look at the democratic systems in Spain and Switzerland.

The people of Switzerland have such far reaching rights it's amazing.
They have an amazing choice of media and freedom of the press and a
resulting great input into the decisions their government makes.
If you want to look at a properly functioning democracy, look there.

The people of Spain voted out their prime minister over the Iraqi war
because he did not represent the will of the people and took them into a
war without reason and one in which they did not want to be.
Spain was a good lesson in democracy.

A properly functioning democracy depends as much on the people as the government. It depends on the literacy of the population as a whole, but more so the literacy and thought at the grassroot levels. If the people
are illiterate, have limited freedom of media and information sources,
or are more concerned with I and advancing materially in a capitalist
society, then their country will suffer. In a Democracy a people get the
government they deserve.

Look beyond borders before making a statement that democracy does not work.

-Gel