I believe in reserving the right of anti-abortionists to picket abortion practicioners offices.  I think its fine and I also think it offers the women who are going to have abortions some balance.

I don't consider a fetus a child.  We are working on getting pregnant NOW and I assure you i will not find the fetus in any way endearing until much later along in my pregnancy than I would consider abortion responsible.  Is a fertilized chicken egg a chicken?  hell, no, its just a red spot in the yolk.  Its still really an egg.

Murder is bad, religious or not.  Morally bad. I am using it in the moral sense.
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: dana tierney
  To: CF-Community
  Sent: Saturday, June 05, 2004 4:45 PM
  Subject: Re: Conversation Topic - Abortion

  Some fine lines here. When I said abortion was a sin, that was a religious concept. When you say it is murder, I assume you are using a legal definition since you are an atheist or agnostic, right? If not, a moral one? What is it? Because in the legal definition there is a distinction
  between life and potential life, and it doesn't seem like a bad best guess to me.

  I do think that since the anti-abortion people have the slogan that "She's a child, not a choice" that the pro-choice tend to over-react a bit to the term. I personally use it because what I know about pregnancy comes from talking to obstetricians, and that's the term they use when discussing risk tradeoffs, for example whether it's ok to have carpal tunnel surgery in the second trimester of pregnancy.

  I also think that it is much easier to be in favor of abortion if you do not think of the fetus as a child. This is just a matter of definition, really, depending on the stahe of the pregnancy and on whether "child" is defined to include only post-natal juveniles.

  I dislike all the emotion that the anti-abortion guys throw around. I see plenty of it because someone in our parking lot apparently performs abortions. The entrance to the parking lot is picketed 3 days a week. Much as it annoys me to be offered a rosary and pictures of dead babies every time I go into or out of the parking lot, those people have a right to be there. And in their point of view they are possibly saving lives. Certainly they are making a stand...this has been going on for anout a year on and off (sigh)