From: Marwan Saidi [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, July 02, 2004 1:56 PM
To: CF-Community
Subject: RE: Speaking of church and state

That's the very simple interpretation. The original, unammended constitution
had no provisions dealing with government and religion. The way the founders
wrote that document, it was intended to specify what duties were delegated
from the people to the government. Ergo, since there was no mention of
religion, it was _not_ something that was delegated to the government.

The First Amendment ("Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment
of religion or prohibiting the free exercise thereof") takes that further.
This is where the debate lies. Some feel that this only says that Congress
cannot establish a national religion or prohibit others from practicing what
they wish, while others feel that the proper interpretation is that Congress
cannot make ANY laws related to ANYTHING to do with religion, hence the
separation angle.

There is quite a bit of information available, from all positions on the
debate, on the web. When you do have time to research (I know that you said
it's on your to-do list), Google is your friend. :)