From: loathe [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, July 06, 2004 10:55 AM
To: CF-Community
Subject: RE: 2nd Amendment (Was: Speaking of church and state)

Amendment I
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or
prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech,
or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to
petition the government for a redress of grievances.

[TIM] This amendment has been used to give everything from privacy to
abortion.  It has been construed in almost every case to expand the rights
of the individual.

Amendment II

A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state,
the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

[TIM] This amendment has been said to be a right of the states.  Mind you
all of the other rights outlined in the bill of rights were those of the
individual.  The second clause of the sentence is the one I feel has been
mainly ignored "the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be
infringed".  I all other cases the phrase "the people" means the individual.
Therefore there should be no laws in regards to firearms.

Tim