There is no legal requirement for citizens to be able to speak, read/write
English (American English in particular)

Even the attempts to pass laws declaring English as the Official language, did
not contain any requirement that required the ability to speak English, however
what it proposed that in litigation, English definitions would prevail over any
other definitions.

I know many immigrants who REQUIRE their kids to learn English and insist it be
spoken even around home and friends.  There are others that, for some reason,
would prefer to remain conversant in their own native language, and to heck with
the rest of the world.

It is class that creates the divide between English speakers, and both
non-English speakers and English-as-a-second-language citizens.  History pretty
well has shown that those who are not fluent in English are at a disadvantage in
attaining middle-class and upper-class standing, high paying jobs, top
management, etc.  Those who stick to a native tongue other than English will be
forced into a lower class.

Also there are financial interests that find it profitable to keep certain
segments of society down and away from opportunities for advancement.

My own attitude is that the public schools should NOT teach English-as-a-second
language, but have immersion courses when non English speakers enter the system,
and then conduct all classes in English.
This is not a slam on anyone's culture, but the result would be to allow equal
opportunities for advancement for everyone.

In Texas, starting in 2006, the testing of student achievement will no longer be
restricted to multiple choice or true/false testing, but every question will
require answers in essay form.  This already has Teachers terrified because this
type of testing will require learning as opposed to teaching test taking.

What brings this about is the experience of employers and hiring managers who
would be interviewing and reviewing the applications from high school graduates
and seeing such a high percentage of applicants who could not calculate an
hourly wage into a weekly or semi-monthly income, frequently could not spell the
name of the school they attended, and even sometimes could not even spell their
name and address.  If they cannot do this how can they budget their incomes and
do any planning for the future, such as family, mortgages, and so forth? As one
who has spent part of their career doing hiring, I can attest to this
experience.  In the majority of circumstances the candidate who could not
comprehend the written word (instructions) or could not spell, were not even
considered for employment.

I fully support the higher standards in education, and feel when challenged most
students will rise to the challenge.  It is this type of education that is going
to be required for the really top paying jobs in the future.

Doug