I'm not sure tho'. from the little I know I thought that you could get a
translated citizenship test if you needed one with the important thing being
the knowledge of history.

As for how a born-and-bred American might not know. I think its definitely
possible in some areas.  Many highly ethic areas have private or religious
schools that teach in languages other than English (although I would expect
most of them would stress learning English as a second language).  I could
see it happening.

Actually I'm not sure the original poster said he was born here. he may have
become a citizen later I suppose.

Also the post didn't mention his age. but if older he may simply never have
gone to school.  The post also mentioned that he did know, but refused
(which lends credence to my original "asshole" theory).  ;^)

I think it happens even now.   The first "native" generation of an immigrant
family often seems to have these issues.  When I was working at Seven-eleven
we had several kids from Chinatown working.  Two could speak very good
English (with very think accents) and one couldn't speak any at all really
(well, you know - a word here and there, but nothing communicative).  All of
them were born in Boston but their parents were mostly from Hong Kong and
they went to a Chinese-speaking school together.

I'm not sure how I would handle a similar situation with my kids.  I would
want them to learn the common language of their country but I would want
them to know my native well so that I could better communicate with them.  I
would also want to communicate with their instructors and be able to help
them with their school work.  I might also (depending on the culture) want
to instill in them some respect for their roots.

I can see good arguments for both sides.

Jim Davis

  _____