Then another company would have come along and done the same thing.

You surely cannot all assume that if Microsoft didn't exist, then we wouldn't
have moved anywhere??   Of course we would.... all the same software, more or
less, would have been developed... it would have taken another company..
Caldera after there DR-DOS days possibly, to have taken other peoples
innovations and wrap a window manager wround the back of it.

You just don't know what could have happened, because any competitor to MS
got annihalted before MS even really started.   IBM and Caldera both had DOS
tools out, the other attempt at a windows GUI that appeared around the days
of Windows 1 too (that I can't remember the name of).... Mac OS was
available, Unix was  available, and soon came OS2...  they were all there....
all potentials.. and if any one of them played dirty, forced it onto every
PC, and then put the marketing bucks in, any one of them would be as well of
as MS are now... yes even Unix!!

To think that computers wouldn't have taken off as much as they have without
MS is completely naive, IMHO.

There were many alternatives, that in the same position as MS would have been
just as good.   And even more to think of..... if MS hadn't played dirty, but
played fairly.... we may even have been in a completely BETTER position.
Maybe competition would have forced companies to release solid, stable
products.

Personally... I'd probably still be doing the same thing that I am today,
regardless of whether MS had been around or not.   I was working with
computers before MS existed...  and I think we'd be in a pretty similar,
maybe better, maybe not, but a very similar place without them.