But  your assumption is that no one else could have done it.   I disagree.
These other companies that you refer too, COULD have done it.   We're talking
about 16 years ago... and neither you nor I could have predicted how
it would have panned out without MS.   I believe that we would still be as
far as we have come.  However, in true debate style, these are MY opinions,
and I am not forcing them on any one else.   I respect your opinions, and
hope people allow me to respect mine without shooting me down for going
against the grain.

With regards to your first paragraph, they DID play dirty, particularly as
far as Caldera and DR-DOS was concerned... it was proved in court that MS
wrote code that stopped windows running over DR-DOS.   Who's to say that
Caldera DIDN'T have the vision?   Their DR-DOS was way ahead of the
equivalent from MS.

It's all hypothetical... but what if MS hadn't come out with windows... or
used unfair business practices to stifle competition... possibly more people
WOULD have gone to IBM for OS2 or to Apple... and in turn these companies
WOULD have then had the money to invest in marketing and R&D.

People can say what they like about OS/2 and MacOS, but if MS hadn't
of used corrupt business dealings... (they were not business deals... they
were corruptions, they were blackmail... which has also been proved) then
more people would have picked up those technologies, and developed them for
the masses making them more stable, usable etc.  Unfortunately, so many
people will put down OS/2, MacOS, BeOS and Unix, because they haven't used
them, or don't understand their place in IT.   They all have their place.
But they never stood a chance once MS struck those deals that said you can't
ship any other OS's on a computer if you want to be an MS supplier.

But it's all 'what-ifs'.... any company could have been where MS are today,
if they had marketed early enough... or used corrupt business dealings :^)

If anyone believes that MS 's business deals, where just business, and
perfectly acceptable.... then they should get a lesson in business ethics.
You won't gain any respect working like that, and that's (IMO) what's going
to hurt MS in the long run. That and the ever increasing price of software,
and the need to upgrade for each new software version!!

We now see ourselves in a position where we have several very good
alternatives to windows, unfortunately a few won't get the chance because of
the existing business practices... but it's nice to see that some
manufacturers ARE beginning to offer alternatives to a PC with Windows.... HP
being one, Gateway here in Australia are another.  But before people start to
knock alternatives.... TRY them.

Someone mentioned on CF-Talk about how the MacOS was so terribly unstable.
That may have been their experience... my experience, and I am a heavy
Mac/Linux/Windows user... MacOS is stable, a bit lacking in some areas, but
considerably more stable than Windows.  I ran a Powerbook side by side with
my PC running NT for quite some time, and the Powerbook was far more stable.
Now I run Linux on my Powerbook and PC, and I enjoyed a much higher level of
stablility than both of the others.  I still have an NT server here for
running SQL Server and ColdFusion, and we still have Mac's for all design
work.  I have also had BeOS and MacOSX installed on these machines.  BeOS was
nice, VERY fast, but failed in the take up.. it's a shame too... It was the
easiest OS I've ever installed... I believe that Be Inc have just sold the
license to Palm!   MacOSX is VERY promising... all of a sudden, Apple
computers can suddenly run mySQL, Apache and all those popular *nix programs
that are so very popular out there on the Internet.  Unfortunately... it was
really slow, this Powerbook used to chug along.  There is an update due out
on saturday that is supposed to really improve the speed though.  I think
MacOSX has a lot of potential.   The stability and security of Unix, yet the
ease of installation and use that Mac's are known for, and now, a whole new
world of software!

There are so many opinions out there... I'm happy to read them all, I get
frustrated at the ones that come through bitching about this OS and that OS,
without the author even trying them, or not giving them a fair go.   Saying
that they tried Linux two years ago, is like saying they played with Windows
1!!   I looked at Linux two years ago... and I left it well alone.  I looked
at it again a few months ago, and was blown away at the improvements that had
been made to setup etc.  To those that are quick to put down Linux as an
alternative, a cost effective alternative, then take another look at Mandrake
8.  I am in a position where I have been able to try a lot of operating
systems, I feel that my opinions have merit because I have that experience.
After trying them all, I have my preferences and they are not MS.  I have
valid reasons for that, and don't feel that I warrant any flaming from
people, because I choose not to use MS.

I'm not an MS hater.  I just enjoy my computing experiences.   I use the
tools that make my daily grind enjoyable, MS did not offer me that when
compared to others.

Ooops.... sorry about the loooong post.... I'll get off my high horse now!!

Thanks for your reply Nick, it kinda feels good to ramble sometimes!!!  :^)