From: Robert Munn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 17:40:34 -0400
Subject: Re: The Sam Factor! (Fox News can legally lie?)
To: CF-Community <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

I heard suggestions by more than one commentator yesterday that CBS
should bring in third party experts under an agreement of
confidentiality to examine the research in the case and render a
judgement. One person (I think it was on MSNBC) pointed out that CNN
had a story on the Tailwind scandal where some of the original
research in the story was shoddy and they retained outside experts-
lawyers, I think- to look at the facts, and they eventually backed off
and corrected the story. Very professional from a journalistic point
of view.

This is bad news for CBS is they don't do an about-face. I wish I had
the quote, but a journalism professor from Columbia on with either
Chris Matthews or Joe Scarborough said he had a ton of respect for Dan
Rather but that Rather was following the incorrect path and he needed
to reverse course. The important thing is that they can have the
research verified by someone else without compromising their sources.