While I am not sure what effect French participation would have had on
the rest of the world, I do think that French participation was not in
fact out of the question.

First, as Jochem says, French is French. Officially, anyway. There is
(or was, it's been a while) in fact some prejudice against Algerians,
so no, I do not believe that Muslims are a political force.

Second, and more importantly, the freedom fighter is a very important
element of French culture. Look at the way the Resistance still
resonates there. Although the French are contrarian internationally,
if they were convinced they were in fact fighting for freedom they
might well have stepped up. I base this on two years in-country and
another three years in French communities in other parts of Europe.

Dana