I know you're looking at Dell's but thought I'd add my $ .02 about my
laptop experience

I would also strongly suggest you look into a couple of things:

* Toshibas - I love mine, never had a problem, and customer support, in
case you have a question or issue, is *great*
* Built-in wireless.  Absolutely essential for a laptop of any kind.
You have no idea how much you will use it!!
* Enough USB and Firewire ports to last you a few years.

I bought a Toshiba Satellite M35  (1.4 Ghz Centrino, 60GB HD, 512 MB
RAM, wide screen)

I also appreciate these features that I didn't care much about before I
bought the laptop:
* The harmon-kardon built in speakers
* The almost full-sized keyboard
* The wide screen

Based on the experience of several people I know, I would not buy Dell -
two of my friends had power supplies die on their (different model)
computers, and one had a hard drive die not long ago.  Also, from
personal experience, I dislike Dell support (I always seem to get hung
up on by their lengthy automated prompt system)...

Oh, and lastly,
GO SOX!

-Robyn