G wrote:
> If you REALLY believe Bush is Hitler......um....besides the medication
> you should be prescribed :)......you can take solace in the fact that
> this "dictator" is subject to the laws of a democratic society.

Never fool yourself into thinking that a leader being subject to the law is sufficient protection from him becoming an absolute dictator.

While I see no reason to equate Bush and Hitler, please take a moment to consider how Hitler rose to power. It was not exactly like someday all Germans woke up and decided "today Hitler is my Fuhrer". Hitler rose to power as the result of a democratic process with less flaws then the last US elections. And once he had that power, he used it to get more power, force new elections, get more power, intimidate a few, defraud a few until he was indeed the absolute dictator. But that process was carefully orchestrated and from the outside was entirely by the book: after all, what is undemocratic about a parliament deciding certain people should not be elegible to vote and changing the law accordingly? What is undemocratic about the parliament deciding that the legislative branch should be dismantled and its powers handed to the executive branch and changing the law accordingly?

Laws don't protect from dictatorship, the active defense of separation of powers (trias politica) does.

Jochem