Bush once said that his job would be easier as a dictator.
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Gruss Gott
  To: CF-Community
  Sent: Thursday, October 14, 2004 10:17 AM
  Subject: Re: Definition of terrorism(WAS The politicization of the Iraq War

  > Jochem wrote:
  >  Never fool yourself into thinking that a leader being subject to the law is
  > sufficient protection from him becoming an absolute dictator.

  Well written and that's my point.  As Hitler rose to power many of his
  supporters ignored his darker side - it ended up being that side that
  governed him when he had absolute power.

  My point is that I've seen many people who, for decades, have
  complained about government spending, but completely ignore it when it
  comes to Mr. Bush.  They are essentially ignoring those aspects they
  don't like about him because they are part of the cult of his
  personality.  That's a similar effect that took place with Hitler.

  Further I think it's careless to pretend that none of us could act as
  Hitler did.  We all have a dark side, and pretending that is doesn't
  exist is the very action that can empower it.  As Reagan said, "trust,
  but verify."

  I believe our Founding Fathers saw that corruption is a fact of human
  nature, even within themselves, and that's why they built in the
  "check and balances" that exist in our government.

  But you're right.  It's dangerous to think that we couldn't lose our
  rights in the blink of an eye - and we may vote to do it!