That would depend on the circumstances.  In a simplistic world then no you
couldn't but the real world is a bit more complex.  Imagine the following
situation....

The French and Germans consider GW's policy towards Iraq to be self
defeating and therefore are unwilling to commit troops to perpetual
occupation of Iraq.  The French and Germans also consider Kerry's position
on Iraq to be much more workable and in line with finding a quick and
workable solution to the problem meaning troops would only be committed for
12 months.  In this situation then yes, you could credit Kerry for the extra
International support even if he has only been in power for a couple of
hours.

--
Jay