> Andy wrote:
>That leads me to think that he would
> only operate unilaterally after the damage had been done.

The idea of Preemption was discredited by the war in Iraq; it will
only work with perfect intelligence which we obviously don't have.
Without that, Preemption just drains your resources and distracts you
from addressing the seeds of other threats.

If you don't believe that policy imperative, do you think Congress
would grant Mr. Bush authority again?  Or that the World will take his
word for anything?

The whole, "I'll protect America, blah, blah, blah" is just rhetoric
because Mr. Bush's credability with Congress, The US population, and
the World population is about zero.  He's been rendered impotent by
his own mistake.  He can't use Preemption even if he wanted too.