Robert Munn wrote:
> Funny, my sister, who is a huge flaming liberal Democrat, thinks Hillary is too
> polarizing a figure to be elected.

I'm not too sure of Hillary would be more polarizing then Bush.  I think
the average president has a gap of about 35% in approval rating between
  the respective party.  IE if a republican president is in office,
republicans would give the president X approval rating and the self
identifying democrats would give the president x - 37 approval rating.
I believe Reagan and Clinton were around 50%; a figure thought to be
large.  George W. Bush comes in at a whopping 60+ points.

The statement that Hillary is too polarizing a figure to be elected as
President is most likely incorrect.  Bush, for all his polarizing, has a
legitimate chance to win.

Additionally, one can't really make any statement that Hillary being a
woman will hold her back, at least based on numbers.  She would be going
into uncharted lands.  Although, my gut feeling is that it might really
work against her.  As for other federal elections...The thesis for my
Stats of Political Science final paper was, "Women candidates have a
disadvantage compared to their male counterparts at the polls for
federal elections".  The results based, on the numbers, were actually
very very VERY surprising.  On the whole, women candidates have a higher
success % then males.   Possible explanations include: strategic
campaigns, social issues dominating the elections in the late 80s to the
mid 90s, higher female voter turnout, increased media coverage because
of the novelty of female candidates, and a few other reasons.  I can't
remember them all.

--
2004 - The year $184M couldn't buy a pennant.