The MBTI measures an abbreviated set of personality facets that are
better assessed by such instruments as the FFI or NEO-PI. It also
doesn't take into account Openness to Experience which in my mind is
as important as Extraversion or Neuroticism.

The FFI is shorter than the Meyers-Briggs, but was developed using
more modern test development methods. Moreover it has much better
validity and reliability. The NEO-PI has over 200 items, and provides
a content space that adequately samples the 5 basic facets of
personality.

In some research I did as part of a grad course on test development,
we related the NEO-PI and the Meyers Briggs using a sample of 3600
business admins and marketing people in four different large
companies. The Meyers-Briggs model was not adequate to explain the
data (ie., the goodness-of-fit measures were not statistically
significant), while the full Five Factor Model provided a very good
fit to the data. When I ran a confirmatory factor analysis on the
data, again the NEO-PI adequately mapped to the underlying factors
within the data. In contrast only the E and N scales in the MBTI were
defined adequately, the remaining MBTI subscales split across all five
underlying factors in the data set.

My own conclusion with these results is that why use a measure that
doesn't adquately represent what's within the population? I I was
still doing that sort of stuff, I'd trash the MBTI and start using the
FFI or the NEO-PI.

pardon the experimental psychologist speak.

larry