To the mainstream American movie viewer, they don't really care where the
story came from.

To the person who had their idea ripped off, it's a big deal, and the
average American would say "yeah, if the story was ripped off, give the
person with the original idea his/her due royalties".

But beyond that.....why is it such a big story to the average movie viewer?