> As usual, Mr. Bush is trying to prove the triumph of marketing over
> good policy; but based on the election, he'll get it passed.  Invest
> in the financial sector now!

Woo!  More work for me.  But that said, it's even worse.  The financial
companies are going to ask for a government subsidy to setup the private
retirement accounts.  The initial numbers, I've been told, look like
this will not be profitable for the account custodians.  At most firms,
holding IRA accounts is not really profitable.  They do it because, to
the average person, there is a lot of hassles of rolling your IRA to
other institutions.  If they get your IRA then the thinking is that your
more transferable accounts will be moved over to their banks.  Including
checking, savings, and mortgages.  But banks are masters of risk
management.  Unlikely they will move forward with shouldering the
management of accounts without a proven business case this will be
profitable for them without some sort of government help.

--
2004 - The year $184M couldn't buy a pennant.

Ron Artest: Extremely flawed, very accidental, semi-martyr