> You show be someone who retires after 10 years and I will show you the
> tooth fairy.  Stocks are a long term investment.  Show me the worst
> historical return over 40 years, the current expected working livetime
> of an American paying into SS, and I will show you a rate of return
> MUCH better than you'd get with Social Security.
>
> -Cameron

I understand the point you are making.  Historically, I've been told,
nothing has returned more in a 10 year period then equities.  I haven't
had the time nor the inclination to produce the tables for it.  But I'm
inclined to believe it because it seems that way.  At the same time I
understand Gruss point, even if he didn't explicitly state it.

The 10% period guide is actually very misleading.  Let's look at this
way, you have $1M to invest over 10 years.

year 1: -35%            running balance: 650,000
year 2: +01%            running balance: 656,500
year 3: -01%            running balance: 649,935
year 4 - 9: 0%          running balance: 649,935
year 10: +45%           running balance: 942,405.75

The market in that 10 year period has a return of 10% but you actually
lost money because you have to weight it.  And if this happens you are
behind the 8-ball.  You have to take on more risk at a time when you
should reducing your exposure.  You can run some Monte Carlo sims to see
best and worst case scenarios with more realistic parameters.  Obviously
mine is a very exaggerated.

In the long run, stocks are your best bet.  But we have to really get a
good grasp of the risk involved.  And even if you are investing to the
tilt, it can't hurt to save a little more.   If guaranteed income is an
essential, you can always put a portion of the money that was slated for
SS tax into CDs and the other portion into other vehicles.

I wasn't really too clear, but I'm for the private accounts if the
government can spell out all the cost before hand.  Cameron makes a very
very good point.  If this is done correctly, it would be a major anomaly.
--
2004 - The year $184M couldn't buy a pennant.

Ron Artest: Extremely flawed, very accidental, semi-martyr