I think the price is 1 trillion dollars. The problem is we have to
borrow all that now to get the program started and it will save many
trillions in twenty years and on.
I'm not sure it's worth the gamble at this time. Maybe Bush needs to
prove he can be financially conservative before we can trust him. Of
course then it'll be to late and no one else will fix SS, just talk
about fixing it.

Odd thing is the Democrats always run on the platform that the GOP is
raiding SS and it'll be broke soon. Remember the Clinton commercial
with Dole pushing the old lady in a wheelchair down the stairs. And
Gore with his imaginary lockbox. Now that someone is finally willing
to fix it, they suddenly pretend it's fine the way it is. Clinton's
surplus was based on the SS fund. He took the money out of SS to pay
down the deficit and then added a surplus assuming the economy would
always be good. The SS money he borrowed was to be repaid by future
taxes and earnings from a great economy. But, the economy had a
downturn just before Bush got in so goodbye money.