Boy, I'm sorry I missed out on this discussion earlier! Too many things going
on...

I agree with Gruss on the broad points here. American do not save. We need to
save more. And $100K by age 30 may seem like a lot to you (and me), but bring
an aspiring professional from a poor country to the U.S. at age 21, give them a
decent job, and I guarantee you they will blow that $100K number out of the
water by age 30. It's all about attitude. Read "The Millionaire Next Door" or
watch Suze Orman (not a fan myself, but she knows what she is talking about).
It's all about cutting expenses.

Having said that, if everyone did that and got to where we need to be, a 10%
savings rate instead of a 1% savings rate, the U.S. economy would take a
beating. Consumer spending is 2/3 of our economy, so chop 10% off consumer
spending and that's nearly a 7% drop in the economy. Can you spell recession?
Still, we need to save more, individually and as a nation.

On the question of Social Security policy, it was originally intended to help
the extremely elderly who had lived beyond average life expectancy It has
morphed into an entitlement bonanza- the promise the if you make it to a
certain age (not all that old in fact) you don't have to work any longer.

I don't think the whole story has been told as to what will make up "private
accounts", but your skepticism is well warranted. Alan Greenspan is himself
a skeptic of private accounts.

My understanding is that private accounts would be restricted to a very
small group of investment vehicles- Treasury Bonds, for instance, and
perhaps some sort of index funds that track the overall NASDAQ or NYSE
markets. The main point is that you would not be able to invest your private
account into individual stocks, or even in general mutual funds. By tracking
either the dollar (via T-Bills) or the overall U.S. markets, private
accounts would be tracking the wealth of the nation. I think that is
basically the intent of the program. Rather than leave all of that
money stuck in a non-existent "Social Security lockbox", the government
would allow you to invest a portion of it- a portion only- in some sort of
private investment vehicle.

If private accounts are well thought out, they could be part (but not all)
of the solution for fixing Social Security for us, our children, and their
children. Let's be clear about this- Social Security, without any changes,
will be totally bankrupt within 40 years. It could be even sooner. I think
current projections are being made based on current life expectancy, but I
think life expectancy may be ten yeas higher than it is today within the
next 40 years. What would that mean? Today, the average life expectancy is
77 years in the U.S. If that number were raised to 87 years, Social Security
would have to almost double the number of years of benefits paid to seniors.
Coupled with the declining birth rate, that spells financial disaster for
future generations.

IMHO,  a future-proof remedy requires several things:

- private accounts

- indexing the age for full benefits to the average life expectancy. When
Social Security was first started 60 odd years ago, the average life
expectancy was 65, and that was when full benefits kicked in. But
politicians know a sacred cow when they see one, and that's what they saw in
Social Security. The age for full benefits will rise to 68 soon, but that
means it is already lagging 9 years behind life expectancy.

- indexing the increase in benefits to costs, not wages.

- means testing as a last resort. Someone needs to come up with a failsafe
that makes sure the poorest, most desperate people are paid out of the fund
first, and everyone else gets what is left.